Wednesday, April 4, 2012

How I got an Internship!

Throughout the course of this semester I have been worried about what I was going to do for an internship this summer. There were a lot of directions I could potentially go but they never seemed to feel quite right. After I got home from my mission I was able to go to a few design seminars at BYU-Idaho. One of them was a design symposium and there I was talking with a few alumni when something she mentioned finally felt right. She mentioned that Madison Butterfield, a girl that began the program with me was working for BYU in Provo, UT. It was like a spark went on and I thought, I should go to Provo. Through the next few months I still kept that in the back of my mind as I explored all of my options. It wasn't until two weeks ago that things finally went through. I had sent a resume, done my portfolio website and lots of other things but I still hadn't heard anything back from anyone. I e-mailed Madison once again and mentioned how I really wanted the internship in Provo. She said she would go and talk to her boss right then. They had received six other applications and I didn't know if they were leaning towards me or not.
When I got a call from Catherine to have me go down to Provo for an interview I was really excited! It was really working out. I'm sure the events that followed weren't just happenstance! I scheduled the interview for March 23rd not knowing what I would have to miss or where I would My business class ended early which meant I didn't have class that Friday like I normally would. My family hasn't been to Utah for a while but that Thursday night there was a Standard Plumbing show in Salt Lake City and my family had a few hotel rooms for the night. Instead of leaving in the early morning before anything is up and moving, I would be able to stay with them for the night and then go the extra 45 minutes or so to Provo on Friday morning! I couldn't believe it! I really couldn't have planned such perfect circumstances.

When the day finally came it was perfect! I loved being in Salt Lake City with family! We went swimming and had lots of fun trying to get my little nieces in the water. They were petrified it seems but finally we had some luck and it was fun! The next day I drove to Provo. It was my first interview and I didn't really know what to expect. I admit I was nervous but I was confident that it would work out because so much had worked out to get me there already. I arrived in Provo early and so I stopped at a little gas station and got some food to wake me up a little. I then drove over to the unfamiliar Brewster building on the corner of campus and went in for my interview. It went so smoothly! I couldn't believe it really! I felt really comfortable talking with Catherine and Julie. They were already intending to hire me and so it was simply a "this is what you will be doing" interview. When I told them I went on a mission to Thailand, Catherine mentioned how her husband had this new found love for elephants painting. I told her that I had pictures I could send her and she got so excited. 

After the interview I called my Mom and they decided to come up to Provo and help me find housing. Just when I thought that the day couldn't get any better I found this cute blue duplex just two blocks from work that I could live at for the summer! As we parked next to it the door opened and there were a couple of girls talking inside and so I went up and talked with them. She showed me the place and it looked nice enough and reasonable enough. Really it was perfect! There is no way that all of this could have happened so smoothly without some intervention from above. Seriously! So watch out Provo! Here I come! 

1 comment:

  1. I will be stalking your blog now. Mark and I have a blog as well... mjsederberg.blogspot.com YOU ARE COMING TO PROVO!!! yessss. we will have to do thai dinners often. Congrats on your internship!

    ReplyDelete